Pages

Search the Blog

04 November, 2015

Charu with homemade Charu Powder

Contributor: Geetha Madhuri
already andaru cheppinattu unnaru kada rasam recipe nenu naa version postuta which I learnt from my mom. Amma charu/rasam ki chala mandi fans unnaru.

1st I make charu podi and store. It's made of 1cup turdal, 1cup dhaniyalu, 50 gms of jeera and black pepper, approx 20-25 red chillies. I use little more black pepper as I like the flavour. Dry them and powder little coarse.
Now take a lemon size tamarind and soak it in water and extract pulp. Add some more water to this. Water quantity varies according to the sourness of tamarind. Allow it to boil while u add diced tomatoes, salt, small piece of jaggery(optional), 2tsps of the powder, curry leaves and coriander. I usually don't add dal to my charu. If I add I'll add about 1cup of Tur dal boiled and the procedure is same but it'll be called pappu charu in our house. After it is boiled give it tempering with fenugreek seeds, jeera, mustard seeds and red chilly. If you like u can add hing orelse garlic and mix it to the charu. It's very tasty and is more like a clear soup😛
If you want to avoid tamarind u can do it completely with tomatoes or u can add dry/ fresh mango or just boil it without tamarind pulp and after u off the stove, add lime juice. All are equally tasty.

For sambar powder I also add fenugreek seeds about 3/4th cup and a fistful of channa dal and powder it. Then procedure is same like pappu charu except that we boil veggies and dal qty is more.

No comments: